Saturday, June 20, 2009

Journey's End

Today at 4:46pm, I am finally out of the bed and downstairs. I have had the best sleep I have had in 10 days (and the most), I haven't heard, "Mrs. Boor..." in over 8 hours. I am feeling much refreshed.

I feel the need to finish out our trip for you who have followed the blog because many of you who have been following us and praying for us don't have kids on the trip to tell you the end of the story and those of you who do have kids on the trip...I know how many details teenagers like to share!

On Friday, we visited San Francisco de Asis, Mission Dolores. It is a beautiful structure in the heart of San Francisco. We had a lovely spiritual time together with a beautiful closing prayer where we heard all of our prayers for each other.

After our time at the mission, we drove over to the Golden Gate Bridge. We got out of the bus and walked the 1 mile (1 1/2 by the time you include the access ramps) across the bridge. This was a great adventure. I was particularly proud of everyone for doing this because several folks (pilgrims and chaperones) were very anxious about walking across. They had various fears and phobias...heights, bridges, & water are at the top of the list. Pilgrims across the centuries have faced uncomfortable, scary, and/or even danger as they made their journey. One of my favorite memories from this trip will be my walk across the bridge. They views were spectacular but what made it special was that I held hands or linked elbows with a pilgrim and together we were able to get across the bridge. This is a great example of Christianity...knowing that someone is there to help you, to support you and believe that you can do it! We walked together knowing that this was a big step for someone who was very scared but was willing to move forward with help and faith.

We then drove through Sausalito to change buses and continue to Muir Woods. The magnificence of the redwood trees was is beyond my words. We all had a great time...and as usual, we all chose different paths but we all enjoyed this trip!

We finished out our trip back on the Wharf with dinner at Bubba Gumps.

The folks at the San Francisco airport would definitely not question that we were pilgrims - we certainly had the dust from the road on us! What a motley crew we were!

As we boarded our 11pm red-eye flight home, we were all ready to come home but we have all learned so much about ourselves, each other, and God's love for all of us.

I feel very blessed to have been given this opportunity with our J2A group. I have no doubt that our church will continue to grow and thrive as these children come into adulthood.

Much love and Peace, Karen

1 comment:

  1. Dear Chaperones,
    We prayed hard for you all, and for the kids, throughout this journey. I know there were many challenges, as expected, but the joys and discoveries each one made will be the memories they will keep. Once again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your dedication and your love for these kids. You are each a blessing to my child and our church.

    Blessings,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete